Well, to be fair, it’s possible that what types of pants you wear may be high on your ex’s “turn-off list.” However, well-known actress Eva Mendes was recently quoted as saying that she feels wearing sweatpants is the “No. 1 cause of divorce in America.” She says, of course, she never wears them.
It should be noted that Ms. Mendes didn’t comment on whether or not she likes her man and father of her child, actor Ryan Gosling, to bum around in workout clothes.
Truth be told, there are a number of reasons people cite for getting divorced. The most popular are:
- Money! Actually this reason is mentioned by divorcing couples for several reasons. You can marry someone because they have money and you need it. You can get into trouble when one of you is a spendthrift and the other doesn’t know how to stop spending money. There can be problems surrounding not having enough money to do things you want to do or not enough to even pay your bills.
- Jealousy or Co-Dependence is a Major Reason Why Couples Split. If one isn’t trustworthy or the other just thinks they can’t be trusted, jealousy will rear its ugly head sooner rather than later.
- Boredom. Like isn’t always like a box of chocolates. However, when it’s NEVER like a box of chocolates, things get stale. This could happen if you don’t have the same interests or one of you stopped liking a common interest that was a huge part of your time together.
- Becoming Parents and Forgetting About Being a Couple. Children change everything; make no mistake about it. However, when people stop making time for their significant other, they lose their way in their marriage.
- Time. They say time heals all wounds, but it also allows people to grow and change. If couples don’t do this together, the marriage flame will be extinguished – especially once the children have grown and moved out.
Tack onto this list the usual suspects – lack of intimacy, infidelity and lack of support (emotionally, physically, financially) – and you can understand there are many reasons people call it quits.
If you are contemplating divorce, protect your interests by hiring an experienced family lawyer who understands New Jersey divorce law inside and out. Ron Graziano of Graziano & Flynn has been guiding families in South Jersey through the divorce process more many years. He can help yours, too.