Five Things that Can Derail High Asset Divorce Cases in NJ
Divorce is always an ugly experience, even if it’s done in the most amicable way possible. As bad as a divorce can be for the average Joe and Jane, the stakes become much higher when a large amount of assets are involved. Financially successful people often don’t realize how fast money can turn into a curse during a divorce. Here are five things many divorcees don’t realize about high-asset divorce cases until they have experienced it themselves.
- There’s a possibility of espionage going on. It’s not uncommon for people in high-asset divorce cases to hire a private eye to tail their spouse in order to get more evidence to use against them in court. It’s common for spouses to sort through mail to find secret bank accounts, and get a better idea of what the financial situation really is.
- You begin to worry about keeping up your lifestyle. Your lifestyle always was important to you. Believe it or not, most people often panic at the idea of losing the level of comfort they have had during their marriage.
- The divorce takes a lot longer than you initially thought it would. For some reason, many divorce cases that involve many assets turn into long, drawn-out court cases that can take years to resolve. Whether it’s because one party wants to strong arm the other into settling for less than they feel they deserve or because there’s just too much paperwork to sift through.
- If you have a pre-nuptial agreement, it will likely be challenged and questioned before it’s enforced. People don’t usually think of prenuptial agreements as something challengeable, but in high-asset divorces, it happens all the time. More often than not, it’s because the couple’s financial standing outgrew what the prenuptial agreement suggested.
- Accusations and allegations can make the entire case turn ugly. Even the most amicable divorces seem to have moments that would make both sides cringe. This is something that is human nature.
High-asset divorce cases are always very high stake. If you are in a high asset divorce struggle, you need to hire an experienced divorce lawyer who will do what it takes to protect your rights and interests. At Graziano & Flynn, our clients can rely on our knowledge and compassion to guide them through the divorce process. Contact us today for a consultation.